Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Girly Green Tote Bag

This is an upholstery fabric which I picked from reminds section of Fabricwarhouse store. It was being sitting on my self for a long time... waiting for me to make something like this...A tote bag !



It is a very simple tote bag .You can find tons of tutorial to make a tote bag through Internet.
I used upholstery fabric for Main(exterior)&Quilting fabric (Keepsake calico print from Joann store) for lining.My bag size measures approx. 14" W X 16" H.

How I made this :
I cut two rectangles from both Main & lining fabric.(approx. 17" X 36").
I was thinking of making a pocket that's look a skirt .First step is to make that pocket.
Cut 10" X 8" rectangle from a lining fabric.Make a casing for elastic(mine is 1/4"wide).Insert a elastic through casing .secure the elastic at the beginning&end(leave a little space for seams).Fold&iron the seams of the pocket.Pin it to the center of the Main exterior fabric. Attach the pocket by edge stitch with a 1/8″ seam allowance around the 2 sides and bottom of the pocket, back stitching at beginning and end for a secure hold.
I hope the pocket looks like skirt(at least after I told that).



I added an another pocket to the lining too.



Fold in half with right side together sew sides with 1/4" seam allowance.Leave a small opening in the lining.



To shape flat bottom for bag, at one corner match bottom of the bag to side seam line.creating a flattened triangle measuring 2 inches from point of triangle,draw a 4" long line across triangle.

 

Sew on drawn line.Trim excess fabric.Repeat with remaining bottom corner of bag,and both corners of lining.



For the straps... again there is a lot of ways are there to make straps.
Here are some basic links:
Tutorial ~ Bag Straps from sew,mama sew
Tutorial ~ Bag Straps, A Variation from sew,mama sew

Strap Tutorial – One Piece of Fabric from sewing novice
Strap Tutorial – Two Pieces of Fabric from sewing novice

My method is something different because I was out of main fabric.Here is how I did my straps.
I had only 1 1/4" wide stripes from main fabric.so I cut 2 1/2" wide stripes from lining fabric.With wrong side together align the main fabric to the center of the lining stripes. 



Fold 1/4" at the edge of the lining fabric and fold again,pin it to the main fabric.Sew both edges.



Final step is to assemble the bag.With the right side of the Main fabric(exterior), pin straps to inside of exterior to the proper alignment. Make sure the straps are hanging inside the bag toward the bottom. Turn right side out & Baste the straps in place with a ¼” seam.



With the main fabric right side out, place it inside the lining so the right sides are now together.Match the side seams pin the edges together, making sure that the straps are hanging down in between the 2 layers.(sorry I missed the photo).
But it looks like this (I get this photo from pink October tote tutorial @mama's pocketbook)



Sew all around the top of the bag,back stitch at all straps .Turn lining to inside through the opening.Press top edge so that lining does not show on the outside.Edge stitch top edge of bag.



No comments:

Post a Comment